Search

Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Wool coat Butterick Lisette #b6423


Not that I needed another coat, but I loved this pattern so much I just could not say no to it.This is a new pattern from Lisette for Butterick B6423.
As usual deciding on the size to make and later which the buttons to use.

Based on my measurements I made my muslin in size Medium  (12-14) thinking that size Small will be too small on the hips ( I measure 92cm). The muslin in size M was perfect at the hips but the rest of the coat was just too big, the sleeves were like 5 cm too long also. I know that it is an oversized style but I had the feeling that the size was just wrong. I decided to make the final coat in size S for the upper part and blending to size M for the hips. Even in size S the sleeves were too long. I used the pattern lines to shorten them by 3 cm, but I still have the feeling that I could take at least 1 cm more out. 


These are all the changes I made on the pattern. Further, I interfaced also the entire front and the hems and added 3 buttons instead of 1. According to the instructions you need to attach the lining at the hem by hand, after the lower back piece ( coat and lining ) are attached to the upper back,  but because I was a little in a hurry  ( read lazy :) ) I changed a little the order of sewing. I let an open seam in one of my lining sleeves, I attached the lining/facing to the coat and then I attached the lower back to the coat as instructed ... It had saved me a lot of hand sewing time.


While I really like the idea of this pleat, I don`t think it really works in my heavy wool, this is something I did not consider when I picking my fabric for this pattern. My bad. This wool makes the coat very warm and nice to wear but I think the pleat will work much better in a lighter fabric than mine.


The lining is a very nice satin with a little stretch and actually too nice to be used as a lining but I do love to add a nice fancy lining to my coats and I had no project for this in my mind ( I think 3 years in my stash ) 
 


Happy with my new coat!

More pics on my Flickr 




9 comments:

  1. Stunning! This pattern is on my list since it came out and I love your version. Beautiful fabrics, you look gorgeous in blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I saw a preview of this pattern on Instagram and could not wait to sew it. I am very happy with it .

      Delete
  2. So lovely! Hope it will keep you warm, it's definitely making you look super stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is impressive! Fabulous color and great style!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovely! I hope I didn't forget to say that when I saw it on the Oliver and S blog, but in case I did: it's lovely!
    I have just made one too and am curious if you could work out what on earth was meant by step 36. It's some kind of stitching of the finished pleat I think? I emailed Liesl and she confessed to having no idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So...I really don`t know what that is. I changed the construction for attaching the lining so I did not follow there but even then ,I really don`t get it, also that small illustration is even more confusing.

      Delete
  5. Thank you! Hahaha...I am intrigued...I will check when I get home tomorrow, I can't remember that stap. I will write back 😊 to you!

    ReplyDelete